Greening the Conference
April 15, 2010
Here are some ways each of us can contribute to greening our conference and minimize our environmental imprint.
- Register on-line if possible rather than printing paper copies.
- Purchase carbon offsets to neutralize the impact of your travel.
At the conference:
- Bring reusable mug or water bottle, pen/pencil and notepaper, laptop and data stick.
- Collect business cards of presenters and have them e-mail reports and other information rather than collecting printed hand-outs.
- Recycle your waste: bottles, cans, paper, etc.
- Take advantage of energy and water conservation features of your hotel, such as not having sheets and towels changed every day.
On your own time:
- Do your sightseeing by foot, bicycle, kayak, or public transport.
- Check out restaurants that offer organic and/or locally grown foods.
We look forward to seeing you at the CES Conference in Victoria!
March 15, 2010
When travelling to the CES conference, we encourage you to think about the most environmentally friendly way to travel. Did you know that trips by train emit only about a third to half of the greenhouse gases that a trip by plane does? For a number of us, however, traveling by plane is the only viable option to get to the conference. When traveling by air, there are steps you can take to minimize the carbon imprint of your flight. For example, studies have shown that night flights take a greater toll on the climate. Learn more about ways to reduce the carbon imprint of your air travel on-line.
If you are interested in learning more about buying carbon offsets, here is a Carbon Offsets Guide produced by the David Suzuki Foundation.
For local air travelers, Harbour Air Seaplanes and West Coast Air not only land in Victoria's Inner Harbour which is walking distance to the Conference site, they are also a carbon neutral companies.
Kim Walker and Karen Truesdale
aka “The Green Team”
CES 2010 Conference Planning Committee
This site is maintained by the CES.
Last updated on May 27, 2010
For any problem, please contact the webmaster [Disclaimer, Privacy]
© Canadian Evaluation Society 2009-2010